We produce only what we love, and through our unique hand knit pieces, rekindle the appreciation of the inherent beauty and value of hand made clothing.
At Hania New York we celebrate and encourage the continuation of traditional crafts, while we support our local communities. We started with one person knitting for us and as our company continues to grow so does our circle of knitters. Through people coming to us via word of mouth from the five boroughs of New York City that number is now at over a hundred, and counting. They come to us with a range of skills, learned from mothers and grandmothers; we begin with this natural talent and by sharing with them contemporary techniques, stitches and design, we enhance their abilities to become skilled artisans, working at the highest levels of craftsmanship.
As someone who was once a single mother, working to support her daughter and herself through her knitting, Anya Cole through Hania is actively empowering women by giving our knitters real options to use their skills. We believe in paying a fair price for quality craftsmanship, while at the same time giving women the opportunity to work on a schedule that benefits both them and their families.
We believe in creating an inclusive and open work environment, where input and opinions are sought and respected. Celebrating creativity and individuality, we cultivate pride in what we do and develop a sense of teamwork.
We also believe in being aware of our impact on the environment. We attended the Copenhagen Fashion Summit 2017, where the Global Fashion Agenda called on fashion brands and retailers to sign a commitment to accelerate the transition to a circular fashion system. Hania has signed that commitment and have set the following targets for 2020. We will be reporting annually on our progress.
ACTION POINT 1 – IMPLEMENTING DESIGN STRATEGIES FOR CYCLABILITY
- By 2020, all new collections must first incorporate existing stocks by making use of at least 80% of them.
- By 2020, we will train all of our designers on sustainable and circular design principles.
- By 2020, 90% of our collection will be designed for reparability.
- By 2020, 70% of our collection will be designed for disassembly.
- By 2020, at least 60% of our collections will be made from mono fibres.
- By 2020, full details on care, reparability, and reuse will be available to consumers via our website and garment tags for all of our products to extend their life.
ACTION POINT 2 – INCREASING THE VOLUME OF USED GARMENTS COLLECTED
- By 2020, we will implement an online garment collection scheme, through which all of our products can be returned to be remade, or repurposed.
ACTION POINT 3 – INCREASING THE VOLUME OF USED GARMENTS RESOLD
- By 2020, we will offer our customers the opportunity to purchase pre-worn HANIA by Anya Cole clothes through our website.